Thursday, December 4, 2014

Day 8: Acceptance

When I accept what is rather than resist, I can move through life with much more ease and clarity.

That isn't always easy. I get caught up in what should be. This way of thinking essentially means I am resisting what is. And when I resist what is, there's very little power to make meaningful change. For myself or anyone else.

One way I know that I am not accepting things for their current face value is that I judge them: "I shouldn't be so tired", "this student's behavior is confusing", "the rules for special education are too complex", "I can't do balancing poses".

Acceptance does not mean that things cannot change. It simply means I am seeing life for what it is right now. There's so much more power in that place. When I practice acceptance I release any illusion of control, paradoxically I gain the power to effect meaningful change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment